Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Thing #8...RSS

I set up my Bloglines account. I am not sure that I will have time to read much from them,however.I think I will find more feeds that interest me when I have some free time to play around and discover a bit.
A couple of things that I like about RSS and newsletters is how easy and fast it is to get information about everything. There are feeds about everything from how to pick a great read-a-loud to how to protect ourselves and our students from staph infection at school. I don't have to waste time reading blogs that are old because new posts come to me instantly.
If I can think of a way to get teachers to read my blog, RSS could be instrumental in keeping them updated with library news and happenings around the district. Parents could also use it as a means for keeping updated. In my personal life, I can use RSS for notification of when new posts are added to some of my favorite blogs, such as my friend at work who keeps me updated on her pending adoption...(She and her husband are in the process of adopting a baby girl from China.)
Libraries can take advantage of this but it is 100% dependent on the Internet working. In my elementary library, there are many times when the Internet is down or unavailable,(so my teachers tell me!),and it would be very frustrating to depend on RSS for information delivery if the network is often nonavailable. However,with a reliable Internet connection, RSS/newsletters can be very helpful when current events are needed on a regular basis and in a timely manner.

No comments: