Monday, January 7, 2008

Thing #18....Web 2.0 Awards List

This site is packed full of fun and helpful websites. When you start to explore it, get ready to start writing down your usernames and passwords because almost all of them require registration to fully enjoy. This site introduced me to some new friends that I think I will use a lot. My favorites are Zillow, Clipmarks, One Sentence,….. and my most favorite of all is Real Travel.
My husband and I spent a lot of time discovering Zillow, a site for seeing what houses in the entire country are worth. It uses satellite images to zero in on specific addresses. We haven’t tried it yet but we want to see if we can find addresses of famous people and look up their domain.
Clipmarks is a very exciting site that allows you to “clip” your favorite part of a website so you can have just the part of the web page you want. You have to download the program but it enables you to save images, texts and even videos from hosts like Youtube so you can send them to friends in an e-mail or even place them on myspace or your blog. The only problem I have with it is getting it to work on American Online. I could only get it to work on Internet Explorer but it sure is easy to use when you want to share something you find on the web.( Take a look above this post to see a lovely YouTube video that I used Clipmarks to add to my blog.)
I love One Sentence! It’s really just for fun but the idea behind it makes sense. People write a true story in one sentence. Some of the entries are sad but some really crack me up! When I discovered One Sentence, I ended up staying way too long and even posted a story sentence of my own. I had to wait for approval before it was published. (This site started me to thinking that this idea , (not the site) would be a great way to teach kids how to summarize.)
Out of all the websites from the Awards List, my favorite one to play with is Real Travel. My daughter is planning a trip to Paris this spring break. I looked up blogs from people who have traveled to Paris and found some very important information that might help her have a better experience while there. My husband and I are interested in traveling to Italy soon and I’m sure to find some great advice from this user friendly site. I can see high school students using this site if they are going on school sponsored trips and they wish to be better prepared by knowing what to expect with climate and customs.

No comments: