Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Thing #13....tagging and del.icio.us

A social bookmarking site is wonderful for most people but I just don't spend much time socializing on the computer other than E-mail. I do like it for being able to keep up with my bookmarks at any computer and for seeing what other people do with my subjects. At home, I use AOL "favorites" for bookmarking so using del.cio.us is a little harder since I have to open up Explorer to get to the buttons on the browser.

Del.cio.us can be used to find popular websites for just about everything. I'm not so sure that it's really the best for tagging reliable sources for research, however. After all, many people are using the same tag words but are not using reliable sources from these tags. There is just so much information here....It's a bit overwhelming. I did set up my account with del.cio.us and have set a few bookmarks that interest me. I can see older students getting more from sites like del.icio.us. In elementary school there is not enough time during research for the kids to spend time on it. However, I can see myself possibly using it to preselect sites to use in the library. For example, when I set up my del.icio.us account I found a free PowerPoint site that may come in handy.

No comments: