Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Thing #12... Social Networking

Educators need to know that people are meeting on the web by sharing their interests and ideas. Trying to avoid life on the superhighway just won't happen in today's libraries. Many kids love using myspace and usually spend more time on it than they do reading books.How can we compete with that? We as librarians must keep a sense of adventure to go along with our thirst for knowledge.
While building my page on myspace.com I realized that it's not just for kids anymore. I really never thought about having a myspace page myself because I thought it was for kids and people in their early twenties. Now I see it can be a great tool for sharing photographs and news about my family to friends and family. Maybe I'll find some old friends who have moved away, (or be found.)
I really like that aspect of myspace.com
What I don't like about it is the risk of strangers seeing my personal information. I don't know why that bothers me so much....I guess I watch too many movies!
I don't know about secondary school, but I can't see using it at school due to safety issues and time restraints.
My favorite features that I used was the design elements to build a page. I can see spending lots of time playing with and creating artistically by "making the world pretty"
(Visit my personal myspace)........ myspace


2 comments:

Teresa said...

I have 2 things to say: 1: yessssss! It's you! Your "code" name should've given you away before now, but I've been dense. Very good name for an artist! And 2: when your song came on, my daughter said, Oh, Ingrid Michaelson is my favorite! So you are super cool with the teens! And I admire you for figuring out how to do a Myspace page! Very complicated!

mmw said...

There is a way to make your profile private if you want. When you do that, only your myspace friends can see it. If having it public bothers you, you might want to do this.